Sunday, August 07, 2005

The truth beyond Love

I remember when I was in University; I really do love to read books not Christian's books ha! but books that will make me "kilig" (excite) ---books about romance, about dating. These books I read from my young age, it gave me a real good impression about love which I thought that's the real meaning of the term "love". But to be honest, I didn't even know what the true meaning of love is?

During that time, all I know when you say love---for me it is something that you could give it away and let it go without knowing the meaning of it. Love that can be something to be selfish sometimes---something that you could give it up with your entire life so people can make them happy and make them satisfy. Love can be material or immaterial ---and thats all about it.

For sure many of you have their own different meaning of love too.

Now, as a Christian, one of the journeys - this commandment always telling me that `Give your love as much you could without any condition and without measuring it and without any doubt.

I asked myself this "what is the truth about love then?

As other's definition, "love", it has been said, is the universal language. It is extolled everywhere, by everyone, as the pinnacle of virtue---but what the world needs now? You may hear all these different singers who sang about love---the Beatles claimed from one of their song "All you need is love." – Michael Bolton contended from his song title, "Love is a wonderful thing". These titles of songs are so beautiful to hear it, of course, a wonderful thing.

But why? Why love is a virtue?

If I remember, in the Bible, a Rabbi once posed a question to Jesus that many rabbis him had debated. "Teacher," he said, "which is the greatest commandment in the Law?""Love the Lord your God," Jesus answered, "with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind." This is the first and greatest commandment --- and the second is "Love your neighbour as yourself" --- you'll find this in Matthew chapter 22 I believed.

The greatest precept of law, according to Jesus, is the command oflove. He even went so far as to say, "Love your enemies, and pray for those who persecute you, that you may sons of your Father in heaven" Matthew 5:44-45.

The whole book of New Testament is telling us all about "love" and the percept is very clear ---for God, for families, for our neighbours, even for our enemies --- is commanded. This is the true message we have ever heard from the beginning.

These commands point to a principle too--- love for God and love for others. Regardless of whether a specific precept addresses a certain decision or behaviour, the principle of love for God and others dictates whether our actions are right or wrong, coz love is a principle God values. Ultimately, of course, love is a true virtue not simply it is commanded, nor even coz it is a principle God values, but coz God is like that --- and God is love. Other people may not understand the true meaning of this, but this meaning directed to the person of God himself. I do believe that this is the area that I need to look upeveryday "to love" --- doesn't matter who I deal with everyday.

1 John 4:16 And we have known and believed the love that God hath tous. God is love; and he that dwelleth in love dwelleth in God, andGod in him.

He loves us so much "with an everlasting love"Jeremiah 31:3 The LORD hath appeared of old unto me, saying, Yea, I have loved thee with an everlasting love: therefore with lovingkindness have I drawn thee.

He loves us so much that He gave His son to die for us.

John 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

He loves us so much, while we were still sinners --- while we still committing sin --- displaying enmity towards God and Christ died for us.

Romans 5:8 But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while wewere yet sinners, Christ died for us.

He is the kind of God who continues to love us even those who curse Him, who mock Him, coz love is one of His nature --- It is not something He does, but it is something He is. There can be no way of disputing the fact that love is a virtue, coz the test of Truth grounds love in the nature and character of God --- and we can always then say that "love of God and others is right – for all people, for all times, and for all places.

I can say that the more we love, the more we see the true meaning of love not just we want to be loved or we loved coz we are attracted to that person --- we love coz we see the true meaning of this through Jesus Christ. He is the beginning of love.

John 15:12 This is my commandment, That ye love one another, as I have loved you.

_______

Note: this message is also posted in our e-group "The Equipping Christians Group"

2 Comments:

Blogger DearestWarrior said...

im just wondering why most of the verses were taken from the book of John...

Hmmm..Love, John, love, john..

3:11 AM  
Blogger mS eLoVe said...

coz I love John, 1st John and 2nd John :)

12:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home